Tamron has just announced a new lens for Sony E-mount and FUJIFILM X-mount cameras: the Tamron 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III-A VC VXD. This all-in-one Zoom lens covers APS-C sensors, and it’ll be Tamron’s first lens for FUJIFILM cameras. So let’s take a closer look at it!
Tamron is well-known for making third-party lenses compatible with various camera systems, including their recent Tamron 11-20mm f/2.8 Di III-A RXD for Sony E-mount cameras or the Tamron SP 35mm and 45mm f/1.8 Prime lenses with image stabilization. This Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8 Di VC USD is still one of my favorite 35mm glasses with a Canon EF lens mount. For example, if you combine this lens with the Canon EF-EOS R 0.71x adapter – for RED KOMODO, EOS R, Canon EOS C70 shooters – you end up with a 35mm f/1.4 prime lens with image stabilization, that’s just unique.
Back to our topic, Tamron announced that a new Zoom lens would soon join its lineup for Sony E-mount and FUJIFILM X-mount cameras: the Tamron 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III-A VC VXD.
Tamron 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III-A VC VXD features
Back in May 2020, FUJIFILM officially opened its X-mount to third-party lens manufacturers. It took Tamron a little more than a year to finally release its first lens with a FUJIFILM X-mount.
This lens, which will also be available for Sony E-mount cameras, offers a huge 16.6x zoom range. So for photo/video enthusiasts, this means, leaving it on your camera all day when you don’t want to bring a full camera bag with you.
However, there is very little information about this Tamron 18-300mm lens at the moment. Here is what we know so far:
- Weather-sealed construction.
- The aperture goes from f/3.5 at 18mm to F/6.3 at 300mm. Obviously, with such a massive zoom range, it’s optically hard (and very expensive) to built constant aperture zoom lenses like this.
- The lens features VC image stabilization.
- There are two Tamron VXD motors (Voice-coil eXtreme-torque Drive) for “quiet, quick, and precise focus performance.”
- The lens has a minimum focusing distance of 15cm/5.9″.
- A 67mm front filter diameter, and there is a physical switch on the body to lock the zoom ring.
Price and availability
The Tamron 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III-A VC VXD should be available this fall, but there is no information about pricing yet.
For more information, please visit Tamron’s website here.
What do you think about this first FUJIFILM X-mount lens by Tamron? Do you often shoot with a superzoom like this one? Don’t hesitate to let us know in the comments below!